The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC) is now accepting applications for the 2015 W.TEC Girls Technology Camp tagged “Geeky Divas – Grooming ICTpreneurs”, which takes place from August 2 to 15, 2015.
The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp is a 2-week technology education and mentoring residential camp organized by W.TEC with the objective of helping girls develop an early interest in computers and other information technology. To have an awesome time and for the teenagers to learn in a most conducive atmosphere, Union Bank of Nigeria is partnering on this life-changing programme for the girls. MainOne Cable, General Electric and Laureates College are also supporting W.TEC to make the program a grand success with the girls being at the centre of advanced technology learning and much more.
The long term goal is to increase the numbers of Nigerian women using technology productively for learning, professional and leadership activities. The camp is open to 30 girls and workshops will include SCRATCH Programming with Raspberry Pi,Mobile Application Development, Digital Video Production, Graphics Designing using CorelDraw, 3D Designing using Sketch-Up, Robotics Programming and Excursions to technology companies.
During the camp, the girls will participate in technology workshops and leadership activities. Evaluations of previous camps show enhanced leadership skills, creativity and problem-solving and communication abilities in the girls as a result of attending the camp.
Girls will participate in the following activities:
- Basic Computer Appreciation – Microsoft Office Suite and Internet
- Animation Programming using SCRATCH with Raspberry Pi
- Designing Mobile Applications MIT AppInventor2
- Graphics Designing using CorelDraw
- 3D Designing using Sketch-Up
- Digital Video Production
- Robotics Programming at a Technology Company
- Financial Literature
- Youths and Space Technology
- Software Development Life Cycle
- Gender and Leadership
- Exciting career talk sessions with pioneering women working in technology
- 2 exciting excursions to cutting-edge technology companies
Fun & Recreational Activities:
- Cake Baking
- Health and Fitness
- Karaoke and BBQ Night
- Movie Nights
The young women will work both individually and in teams for project assignments. The activities will be highly interactive, with emphasis on practice and learning-by-doing.
Target Audience: This is a girls-only camp. The following criteria applies:
- Intelligent, ambitious and no younger than 13 and not older than 17 years
- Interested in and enjoys using computers and exploring the Internet
- Planning or exploring a career using computers and/or other information and communication technology (ICTs)
Format: Residential Camp (The girls will stay at the camp venue for the duration of the programme)
Date: August 2 – 15, 2015
Duration: 2 Weeks
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Fee: N 50,000 per student (Covers tuition, feeding, boarding, educational resources and excursions.). Scholarships are available for public school students.
To apply for the camp, kindly complete the application form. Alternatively, you can send an email to [email protected] to find out more about the W.TEC Technology Camps.
The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp is highly competitive, so be sure to apply quickly. You can watch this video to learn what our 2013 alumnae had to say about their experience at the camp.